Saturday, October 06, 2018

Forever Delphos

I have been thinking a lot about Delphos these days. I had just turned 65 and find myself thinking about growing up in Marbletown in the 1950’s. It was such a great place to live. I had full run of the town from my house on Erie street to the tile works on the edge of Marbletown, to Waterworks Park, to the downtown, out to the pool.

It was a great time to be a kid in Delphos. Doors were unlocked, cars were left in the start mode (for those of you who remember what that was), and everyone older than you acted as your parent.

The tomato fields surrounded Delphos and the Mexicans would come to town during the harvest time to pick the crop. We always had fresh tomatoes during the summer along with a constant flow of corn on the cob as well as cantaloupe. Hamburgers and hot dogs were a summer staple as was fried bologna. I remember sitting with my siblings and we all had sunburned faces munching down on fresh tomatoes and corn on the cob dripping with butter. Had spent the day at the great round swimming pool that has always been a center piece in the city.

Good memories for sure.


No comments: