Friday, January 29, 2010

Marbletown N.Y. vs Marbletown, Delphos, Ohio

I have not posted in quite awhile. I have been too busy living life. I am a history researcher by trade and I have been using those abilities to track my genealogy. What I have found out has set me square on my, well, you figure it out. Although I was born in Lima Ohio at the Lima Memorial Hospital I spent all of my early years growing up in Delphos, Ohio. I lived in a section of town that was known to the locals as "Marbletown". Hence The Marbletown Memoirs is the name of this blog
Growing up in Delphos was the greatest influence in my life. People never locked their doors or windows. They never locked up their cars and a lot of folks just left the key(s) in the ignition. We never stayed indoors because there was always too much to do outside. TV was black and white and we usually only got a couple of channels so it wasn't that important to us.
It was kinda strange though how the Miami-Erie Canal split the city. I lived in Van Wert County but went to school in Allen County. Little did I know that Delphos would become such a pull on me later on in life.
I no longer believe in coincidences. My real name is Richart Eugene Bogart. I am the third time that there has been a union between a Bogart and a Medaugh and NO I'm not inbred. Both families were Dutch. My adopted name is Richard Eugene Schramm. No one in my family ever told me or spoke of their roots. I only got little bits and pieces of information that I would store away in my memory. I found it very strange then when I found out that I had lived one township over from where my GGG, GG, and G Grandfathers are all buried and many of their descendants were still alive. Even more of a shocker was that Don Schramm, my adopted father, had all of half of his family roots right there in town. Delphos, Ohio is where his father was born and raised. Even worse was the fact that his grandmother lived there and he knew it. We went to see her once and mom and we kids remained in the car while dad talked with her through the door as she had opened it partially. We were there less than 10 minutes. You know, I kind of feel cheated by my elementary and high school education. There is very little I have used from that era to live my life. The history books were a bunch of things that other people decided that we should learn. I would have loved to have studied the History of Lima or the History of Allen County. Ever heard of the CCC? I hadn't. It stands for the Civilian Conservation Corps. Many of the structures, trails, and bridges they have built are a real tribute to them as most of the ones I saw were still standing.
Another odd thing was most of my ancestors had lived and were buried in, get this, Marbletown, N.Y. That is the only actual city in the United States named Marbletown. But when I lived in Delphos, Ohio I would be asked where I lived and I would say 729 South Erie Street, the folks back in Delphos would say, "Oh you live in Marbletown". And Marbletown had a reputation to be sure. They (towns people) were a very mixed crowd. Best group of people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing...

Regards,

6 comments:

Trustee said...

Although I did not grow up in Delphos, I live there now and am on the board of the Delphos Canal Commission which has taken over the Delphos Historical Society. I thoroughly enjoyed all your blogs. Your memory is phenomenal. Would you give me permission to print them and put them in a binder for our museum? We are in the old Grant's store just a few doors down the street from where the Schiff's Shoe store was.
I will also try to find out about the drowning at the pool

HeatherLynn said...

lol....I lived on Erie Street myself for a spell!

small world!

xoxo
~hl~

Living Water Productions said...

My name is Delphos Fulton. I was named after my dad. He was named Delphos after Delphos, Ohio. He wrote a letter to a can company in Delphos when he was about thirteen years old (1938), to tell them he was named after them. I did not know about this letter until I received an email from a retired schoolteacher who lives in Delphos, Ohio.
She told me she has the original letter.

Veger7 said...

There was a Ricky Schramm on South Main Street in the late 50s/early 60s. You can see a photo at
http://100megsfree4.com/dsj71/pictures.jpg
Would that be you on the right side?
---Mike (on the left side)

Veger7 said...

There was a Ricky Schramm on South Main Street in the late 50s/early 60s. You can see a photo at
http://100megsfree4.com/dsj71/pictures.jpg
Would that be you on the right side?
---Mike (on the left side)

Veger7 said...

Richard!
Just read your older posts and you are the Ricky Schramm I remember on South Main Street.
Please drop me a line at
veger7@netzero.com
Remember this photo displaying our artwork from Mrs. Knapp's morning class?
http://100megsfree4.com/dsj71/pictures.jpg
(left to right) me (Mike Grone), Mark Wulfhorst, Frank Wulfhorst, Matt King, you.
All the best,
Mike